Law. Life. Family.
We will help you obtain the best possible outcome, with the least amount of emotional and financial stress to you and those you care about.
Who We Are
At Wisselman Harounian Family Law, we aim to provide compassionate care with a level of expertise that goes above and beyond what other divorce and family law firms provide. Our team of attorneys, mediators and professional staff take pride in delivering the highest quality legal services.
Wisselman Harounian Family Law is dedicated exclusively to the practice of family law, matrimonial and divorce matters. We do offer estate planning services for our family law clients, because we believe that moving forward with a family law matter often requires being proactive about the future and estate planning needs, including a new Will or a special needs trust.
Our attorneys are leaders in their field and have been involved in high profile matters for CEOs, business owners, professionals, public figures and celebrities. With the utmost care and confidentiality, we advise high net worth clients on how to protect their assets and income with prenuptial agreements, legal separation agreements and divorce matters.
Our goal is to exceed your expectations of a family law firm. For 2023, we have been named to Best Lawyers, Us News and World Report, Super Lawyers, Martindale Hubbell “AV Preeminent”, and A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau. Furthermore, Long Island Business News named us the Top Matrimonial Firm in 2023, and one of the “Best Places to Work” on Long Island 2023.
Our firm was established in 1976, nearly 50 years ago, making us one of the longest running firms in the New York area. We are the only law firm with a social worker on staff, addressing mental health needs and complex custody issues is part of our unique strategy to help clients and their families. In addition, Managing Partner Jacqueline Harounian has a graduate degree in Behavioral Forensics and Family Systems therapy and all of our attorneys and mediators go through extensive training regarding domestic violence, parental alienation, and above all, the role that unresolved emotions play in conflicts with family members.
When you hire our firm, you have access to a team of lawyers who are at the top of their respective fields. Our partners and associates are leaders in family law practice, and are featured in national and international publications and media. They lead local and state bar associations, and serve our local community in a myriad ways. Currently, Jacqueline Harounian is co-chair of the matrimonial committee of the New York State Women’s Bar Association.
Our attorneys and mediators have hundreds of years of combined experience and they have received every top award in the industry. Our lawyers and support staff also pride themselves on being extremely attentive to every need that arises throughout the process. This means answering calls promptly and with care. We have attorneys on call at night, during holidays and on weekends. You will always get a live support staff member, and never ever a voicemail or answering machine. We will respond to you when you need it most, and be by your side during court appearances and throughout your case. That is our responsibility and we take it very seriously.
Partner Derrick Rubin is regularly appointed as an Arbitrator for Nassau County disputes, including real estate and business disputes. Partner Jacqueline Harounian and Associate Jordan Trager are mediators that handle complex custody and financial disputes in divorce matters. Tamara Harounian, LCSW is also trained as a mediator and assists the attorneys with case strategy regarding mental health issues. Working with one of experienced mediators is the best way to resolve sensitive disputes without involving the court system. We can also retain experts to obtain appraisals for real estate, businesses and other complex assets.
What We Do
We represent clients in all aspects of matrimonial and family law, including divorce matters, custody disputes, orders of protection, fertility agreements, and prenuptial agreements.
To serve our clients’ best interests, we offer mediation, negotiation and litigation in order to customize a strategy that works best for the client. We offer flat fees for uncontested divorce matters and some other matters. Our goal is always to obtain the best outcomes for our clients, while preserving a healthy family dynamic whenever possible. We work closely with our clients to keep their expectations in check and deliver peace of mind and confidence.
Our Commitment to Our Clients
We believe that every client has a unique story that requires an individual approach. There is no “one size fits all” in what we do. We listen to our clients, understand their needs, and fight to achieve the best results possible.
These are the core principles of our firm:
- Zealous representation by an experienced advocate;
- A holistic and team based approach to clients to ensure that their needs are being addressed beyond just their legal needs. The firm refers matters to coaches, therapists, realtors, financial advisors, forensic accountants, mortgage brokers, mediators, parenting coordinators and health experts that can ensure that clients are well supported through their separation and divorce;
- Top notch client service. Our firm ensures that clients know that their matter is a priority and that things are done in a timely manner;
From our Managing Partner Jacqueline Harounian: “It’s been my dream to launch a law firm that will truly make a difference in the lives of clients. That will improve their lives and set them on a path towards a happier future. Our team of attorneys, mediators and legal professionals is second to none and is dedicated to our valued clients. Let us know how we can help you and exceed your expectations.
Family Law Tailored to Your Unique Situation
Allow us to help you through your divorce by protecting your rights and providing a compassionate approach to ease the stress of the difficult situation you are facing. Contact us today to schedule your first consultation with a Long Island divorce lawyer at our firm. We are waiting to hear from you.
Contact us through our website or call 516-773-8300 today!
What You Can Expect from Our Attorneys
- An analysis of the facts and legal issues of your case, and an assessment of your legal rights and obligations.
- Information and advice about the law in your jurisdiction, the legal process, as well as reasonable settlement possibilities.
- Delivery of exceptional legal representation and negotiation on your behalf regarding all issues.
- Advice about any risks in the process, including costs or rulings that might go against you.
- Prompt responses to your calls and emails, and meeting with you in the office to address your concerns.
- Referrals to other leading experts that might be helpful in your divorce or family law case.
- Reasonable predictions about how the court might rule in your family law case if there is a trial, and whether a settlement before trial would be in your best interest.
- Reassurance and empathy regarding the emotional toll of the case—a good lawyer will keep you steady and ensure that you don’t go through this alone.
Whether this means returning phone calls and emails immediately or informing our clients of case developments, we make sure to be accessible and prepared to resolve any concerns our clients may have. Strategically speaking, we aim to avoid expensive litigation by working out a resolution of issues whenever possible. This has gained us recognition as a leading firm from peers and clients alike.
Founded nearly 50 years ago, our firm was built on exemplary service and professional representation. We can offer the help you need.
Helping You Plan For The Future & Move Onto The Next Chapter of Your Life
We have a passion to help our clients not only overcome their present challenges, but to plan for the future. This is why we offer estate planning services for all of our clients. With wills, trusts and special needs planning, we can make sure that your assets are secure and your loved ones are protected for years to come. Our goal is to give you peace of mind when you need it most.
Why Choose Wisselman Harounian Family Law?
- 200+ Years of Collective Legal Experience Among our Team of Attorneys
- Thousands of Family Law Cases Represented Since 1976
- Recognized by Our Peers and the Courts as Leaders in the Field
- Our Attorneys Have Been Named to Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and recognized in US News and World Report as a Tier 1 firm. We were also named #1 Matrimonial Firm by Long Island Business News as well as “AV Preeminent” by Martindale Hubbell, which is the highest rating for professionalism and ethics.
Download WHY CHOOSE US and learn why Wisselman Harounian Family Law is the ideal choice for you.
Get a Team of Professionals on Your Side
Wisselman Harounian Family Law is one of the largest matrimonial firms in New York State. (Long Island Business News Top Firm 2023) Our goal is to offer the highest standards of professional legal services. This involves every single case being monitored by one of our partners. Additionally, each of our associate attorneys is required to have court and litigation experience. Most of our associates have 15 years or more experience.
We work as a team of legal and other professionals. Our firm handles all types of family law cases including mediation, traditional negotiation, litigation, and appeals. We work with our own accountants, forensic experts, and investigators in high net worth cases. We also have a large database of mental health professionals and make referrals for individual therapy, parent coordinators, addiction specialists, and family counseling.
Our firm strives to be affordable to all. Our goal is to meet the needs of our clients and offer a level of service that very few family law firms can match. Across the board, we want to create value and service. Our retainers are reasonable and we offer payment plans upon request. We also offer a free initial case analysis. Contact us today to schedule yours!
Our Commitment To Our Community
At Wisselman Harounian Family Law, our team of legal professionals not only provide top-tier legal services, counsel, and advice but also give back to our community in very significant ways.
Our attorneys volunteer hundreds of hours of their time each year to:
- Domestic Violence Victims / The Safe Center
- Nassau Suffolk Law Services
- Girls Inc
- UJA Federation
- Mondays at Racines Cancer Care Foundation
- Co-chair of Matrimonial Committee, New York State Women’s Bar
- Long Island Crisis Center – Suicide Prevention
- Westbury Chamber of Commerce
- Pro Bono Recognition Award (NCBA)
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Corvette Club of Long Island Board Member
- Parental Alienation Meetup Group
- Nassau County Women’s Bar Association
- Center for Women of New York
- Yashar Hadassah Bar Association
- Brandeis Bar Association
Why Our Firm is Different
- Breadth of cases – No case is too large or too small for our full-service firm. We handle all divorce matters, from uncontested simple cases to equitable distribution trials and appeals.
- Firm size – We are currently ranked as the largest top Long Island matrimonial law firms by Long Island Business News.
- Smart divorce solutions – When possible, we employ a collaborative approach with related professionals to arrive at an intelligent solution and reduce the adversarial nature of the case.
- Diverse attorney knowledge– We have a team of experienced attorneys (male and female), each having proficiency in a particular matrimonial issue.
- Diversity and Culture – Our attorneys speak several languages, and respect clients from all backgrounds, including LGBTQ+. Our partners have extensive expertise in religious divorce (Jewish Get and Islamic Mahr, Jehovah’s Witness divorce), as well as cultural and ethnic factors in custody and divorce matters.
- Broad geographical reach – We appear in Family and Supreme Court in all counties in the New York Metro area and Long Island. For virtual appearances, we can appear anywhere throughout New York State.
- Longstanding firm– Wisselman Harounian Family Law is well established (since 1976) and our attorneys and staff have considerable longevity with our firm. Most of our attorneys and paralegals have been with our firm for over 10 years, with our three partners working together for over 20 years.
- Extensive trial and appellate level experience– Our attorneys have handled hundreds of trials and appeals.
- Free case analysis– We provide free initial case evaluations. Evening/weekend appointments available.
- Leaders in Family Law – Jacqueline Harounian is a sought-after teacher, author and speaker at national workshops and conferences devoted to complex issues of family law.
- Wisselman Harounian Family Law is one of the most prominent and highly regarded family Law Firms in the New York area.
- Wisselman Harounian Family Law has developed legal workshops for specialists in associated fields (e.g. mental health, medical and financial professionals) to understand the legal issues of divorce and family law in and out of the Courts for their professional needs.
Attorney Awards, Honors, & Recognition
Our divorce and family law attorneys are leaders in our industry, and their accomplishments include the following:
- Best Lawyers and US News and World Report Tier One firm
- Attorney rating AV Preeminent® by Martindale Hubbell®– This reflects that a lawyer has earned the highest rating available for their legal ability and professional ethics.
- 10 out of 10 Superb Rating by Avvo.com– This is based upon years in practice, disciplinary history, professional achievements, and industry recognition.
- Top 50 Most Influential Women in Business –Selected by a judging committee, these women represent the most influential women in business, government, and not-for-profit fields.
- Super Lawyers® – Jacqueline Harounian was twice selected to Top 50 Women Super Lawyers list. Six of our attorneys are named NY Metro Super Lawyers.
- Better Business Bureau – We’re pleased to announce that our firm is nationally accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) with an A+ ranking! Our BBB rating gives our clients assurance that we are accredited by an established non-profit and non-biased standard. It means that clients can rest assured that we are following responsible, honest practices.
- Member of the Family Law Section, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Nassau, Suffolk, Queens County Bar Association, and Federal Bar Associations
- Advisory Board Member for NY State Assembly Committee on the Aging
- Elected to Long Island Business News “40 Under 40” Club for Rising Stars
- Designated as Matrimonial Law experts by Newsday, and Long Island Business News
- Member, Board of Editors, New York Family Law Monthly
- Teacher/lecturer at Hofstra Law School, LI University/CW Post, Queensboro College
- Guest speaker on network and local television and radio programs including cable TV, WBLI, Good Morning America, CBS News
- Mayor/Chairman of Zoning Board of Appeals, Village of Flower Hill, Roslyn, NY
- Town of North Hempstead Roll of Honor
- Arbitrator, District Court of Nassau County
Contact Our Divorce Lawyers in Carle Place for a Free Consultation
Contact our firm today to arrange your free case analysis. We are ready to assist you with your divorce or family law matter. Call 516-773-8300 to get started!