Modification of Child Support in New York

Changing the Details of Your Agreement

When parents with minor children divorce, it is necessary for custody and support agreements to be worked out to ensure the children’s health and well-being. These agreements are filed with the court if they are executed in advance of the couple’s divorce hearing. In situations where there are disagreements or unresolved issues, the court will adjudicate the matter.

A parent that wants to modify a support arrangement will need court approval to make any changes to the original document.

Modifications up or down are typically only approved when there has been significant change in circumstances, such as:

  • Major increases in wages or other sources of income, including an inheritance
  • Major decreases in income such as the loss of employment
  • A custodial parent remarries
  • A parent becomes ill or disabled
  • Increased medical needs of the child
  • Other unmet needs of the child

If you are seeking the modification of a child support order, contact our firm for immediate assistance and advice. A qualified attorney can discuss the merits of your modification request and assist you in the preparation of your petition.

Need Assistance? Contact Our Family Lawyers in Carle Place Today.

The financial needs of a child can change over time, as well as a parent’s income and monetary resources. It is not uncommon in the years following a divorce for a parent to request a modification to a support agreement. Depending on the circumstances, this can be for an increase or decrease in support payments.

At Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, we are committed to making a positive difference in our clients’ lives. To achieve this, we work around the clock to provide our clients with exceptional and economical services that can attain their legal objectives. Few family law firms are capable of matching the breadth of our legal team’s resources and practical experience. We are trained in a variety of family law disciplines that prepares us for any unforeseen legal situation. You can depend on our team to help you pursue your desired child support modification.

Wisselman, Harounian & Associates is an experienced and highly respected family law firm that can provide the personal care and legal assistance needed in the modification of a child support order. We will protect you legally and financially, and make sure your children receive the help they need.

If you are seeking a modification to a child support order, schedule a complimentary case evaluation with our team for qualified legal counsel and responsible representation.

Call (516) 773-8300 or contact us online today. Click here for a consultation!