Jacqueline Harounian is a Partner of the Law Firm of Wisselman, Harounian & Associates, P.C. established in 1976, and a recognized leader in the field of matrimonial and family law. Her unique multidisciplinary background, including a graduate degree in Behavioral Forensic Psychology and Family Systems Therapy, enables her to adeptly handle complex divorce, custody and support matters in the Family and Supreme Courts on Long Island and New York City. Recognized as a highly experienced trial and appellate advocate, Ms. Harounian nevertheless believes that a negotiated settlement is often the best strategy, especially if there are minor children and co- parenting is desired. Her approach is straightforward, responsive, and client focused. She emphasizes respect and compassion during the divorce process, and guides her clients towards a holistic and cost effective resolution of their matter that is in their best interest.
Jacqueline Harounian has performed extensive pro bono work for The Safe Center, and has raised awareness and funds for a range of social and legal causes on Long Island. Among her many exceptional achievements over 20+ years of practice, she was chosen to the Super Lawyers list for seven consecutive years, and also twice selected to its most prestigious list — “Top 50 Women Lawyers” in New York, as the only Long Island matrimonial lawyer. Her article, “Legal Implications of Religious Divorce”, was featured in Nassau Lawyer and presented at the WBASNY 2019 annual convention.
Jacqueline Harounian served as an Instructor of Family Law at Hofstra Law School for over ten years. She lectures regularly to attorneys, mental health professionals, accountants, and women’s groups, and is a sought after speaker for a range of topics including financial and legal empowerment, religious divorce (Islamic Mahr, Jewish Gett), sexual and cyber- harassment, intellectual property, intellectual property, parenting issues, negotiating skills, and mental health/addiction issues.
Awards & Recognitions
- 2020 AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell®
- 2019-2021 Best Law Firms, US News & World Report
- 2020 Long Island Herald “Premier Business Women Awards”
- 2019 Power Women in Business
- 2019 Nominated Top 10 Attorney – AIOFLA
- 2018 Nominated Top Female Lawyer, Client Satisfaction, AIOFLA
- 2017 Access to Justice Champion / Pro Bono
- 2016 Outstanding Woman in Law by Hofstra Law
- 2016 Corporate Citizen Award, Ll Business News
- 2010-2016 Super Lawyers New York
- HIA-LI Those Who Make A Difference, Honoree
- May W. Newburger, Roll of Honor
Her book, Divorce Reality Check, published in 2016, is available on Amazon (print and Kindle) and other major booksellers.
- Board of Directors, Nassau Women’s Bar Matrimonial Law Committee, Nassau Women’s Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Domestic Violence Committee, Nassau County Women’s Bar Association
- Appointed, Nassau Legal Marijuana Task Force
- Chair, UJA Federation LI Atty / Prof’l Council
- Board of Directors, Center for Women of NY
- SAFER Rape Crisis Counselor, The Safe Center
- Board of Trustees, Long Island Crisis Center
- Member, Brandeis Lawyers Association of Queens
- Hope Against Domestic Violence,
- UJA Iranian American Bar Association, IABA
- Yashar Hadassah Lawyers and Judges (Former Pres.)