Tips for Surviving the Holiday Season
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, the holiday season is finally here. If you’re recently divorced, then chances are you are beginning to understand how difficult this time of the year can be. Stressful even during the best of times, the holidays can be a real challenge for newly single people who will spend their first holiday without their spouse. With so many changes and challenges occurring in your life, it is understandable to feel anything but merry, but there are plenty of ways for you to make the most of the holiday season.
Consider the following tips for surviving the holiday season after a divorce:
- Avoid spending too much time alone. Yes, some alone time may be beneficial, but avoid the temptation to shut people out. One of the best ways to keep your chin up during the holidays is to rely on the support and love of friends and family.
- Be patient. It can be difficult not to try to live up to past holidays, but the reality is that there are some things that will not be the same – and that’s okay. Be patient with yourself and avoid overwhelming yourself by getting too wrapped up in details.
- Put your children first. When determining how to split your parenting time over the holidays, be patient and cooperative with your ex. Avoid any unnecessary fighting and remember to make decisions that put the best interests and happiness of your children first.
- Take care of your health. The holiday season happens to coincide with cold and flu season, so make sure that you are taking steps to take care of yourself. Get enough sleep, maintain a healthy diet, and get some exercise. Not only can this keep you from getting sick, but it can also elevate your mood.
- Let happiness happen. For many people who are going through a divorce or are recently divorced, it can be difficult to want to feel any emotion besides upset. Try to break free from feelings of negativity and allow yourself to relish happy moments. You deserve to enjoy the holidays as much as anyone else!
- Create your own holiday traditions. You now have a chance to create holiday traditions that are uniquely your own. Embrace this opportunity and look forward to the many happy memories that you will help shape in the years to come!
With the right mindset and a solid support system, you can find happiness during the holidays as a newly single person. If you need assistance with a divorce or family law matter, turn to Wisselman, Harounian & Associates to schedule a consultation with a Long Island divorce attorney. Fill out an online consultation form or call our office at (516) 773-8300 to get started.